Individual Tax Forms And Instructions
We offer several ways for you to obtain Maryland tax forms, booklets and instructions:
You can also file your Maryland return online using our free iFile service.
Do Not Send
- Federal forms or schedules unless requested.
- Any forms or statements not requested.
- Returns by fax.
- Returns completed in pencil or red ink.
- Returns with bar codes stapled or destroyed.
Fill-out forms allow you to enter information into a form while it is displayed on your computer screen and then print out the completed form. You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.1 , which is available for free online. You can also print out the form and write the information by hand. Fill-out forms are better than hand written forms because they offer a cleaner and crisper printout for your records and are easier for us to process.
IMPORTANT: The Acrobat Reader does not allow you to save your fill-out form to disk. To do so, you must have the full Adobe Acrobat 4.1 product suite, which can be purchased from Adobe. Maryland fill-out forms use the features provided with Acrobat 3.0 products. There is no computation, validation or verification of the information you enter, and you are fully responsible for the accuracy of all required information.
Individual Income Tax Filing Faqs
How long will it take for me to receive my refund?OTRs enhanced security measures to safeguard tax dollars and combat identify theft/tax refund fraud may result in longer processing times for some tax returns and associated refunds. The processing window for selected tax returns couldtake up to six weeks.
Do I have to file a DC income tax return?You must file a DC tax return if:
- You were a resident of the District of Columbia and you were required to file a federal tax return.
- You maintained a place of abode in DC for a total of 183 days or more even if your permanent home was outside of DC
- You were a part-year resident of DC
- You were a member of the United States armed forces and your home of record was the District of Columbia for either part of or the full taxable year
- You are the spouse of an exempt military person or of any other exempt person such as a nonresident presidential appointee or an elected official
- If you want to receive a refund of DC taxes withheld during the year, or if you qualify for and want to receive the following refundable credits:
- The DC Earned Income Tax Credit
- Schedule N, Non-Custodial Parent Earned Income Tax Credit
- Schedule H, Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Credit or
- Schedule ELC, Keep Child Care Affordable Tax Credit .
To learn more about OTR’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, please .***
What is the individual income tax rate for the District of Columbia?
Protect Yourself From Tax
Tax ID theft occurs when someone steals your personal information to file a tax return using your personal data. Usually, the fraudulent tax filer will use your Social Security number to file your return in order to collect a refund. To protect yourself from tax ID theft, you can obtain a six-digit Identity Protection PIN from the IRS. IP PINs are known only to you and the IRS so the IRS is able to confirm your identity when you file your return. Learn more about how the IP PIN works and how to apply.
Also Check: Where Can You File Taxes Online For Free
Receipts And Records Of Expenses
The CRA offers credits to help offset medical, child care and adoption expenses as well. It also offers deductions for most retirement account contributions , charitable donations, moving expenses, union dues and professional fees, and other expenses.
In order to claim those credits and deductions, you need proof of your expenses.
- Throughout the year, make sure that you track your expenses carefully and accurately.
- Make notes and save your receipts, bank records and other supporting documents.
- Use your records and receipts to calculate the amount of your claims.
But when you file your income tax return, do not include them with your return. Instead, keep them for your records. If the CRA does a pre or post assessment review on these expenses, you will need to have them available to submit as proof. Failure to submit the required documents will result in your claim for that credit or deduction being disallowed.
Having detailed records is best, as the CRA may request additional documentation. For example, if you are claiming meal expenses that occurred during travel for medical reasons, you are allowed to use the simplified deduction of $17 per meal, up to $51 per day. However, even though the CRA allows this type of claim, it still reserves the right to request additional documentation in case of an audit.
Unclaimed Federal Tax Refunds
If you are eligible for a federal tax refund and dont file a return, then your refund will go unclaimed. Even if you aren’t required to file a return, it might benefit you to file if:
- Federal taxes were withheld from your pay
- You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit
You may not have filed a tax return because your wages were below the filing requirement. But you can still file a return within three years of the filing deadline to get your refund.
Don’t Miss: How To Legally Avoid Taxes
How The Treasury Offset Program Works
Here’s how the Treasury Offset Program works:
If you owe more money than the payment you were going to receive, then TOP will send the entire amount to the other government agency. If you owe less, TOP will send the agency the amount you owed, and then send you the remaining balance.
Here’s an example: you were going to receive a $1,500 federal tax refund. But you are delinquent on a student loan and have $1,000 outstanding. TOP will deduct $1,000 from your tax refund and send it to the correct government agency. It will also send you a notice of its action, along with the remaining $500 that was due to you as a tax refund.
The Internal Revenue Service can help you understand more about tax refund offsets.
Information And Forms You Need To File Taxes
No matter what method you choose to file your taxes, there are certain items you will need to have on hand.
You need to identify yourself and your dependents by Social Security number. You also need to document your filing status, taxable income, the amount of tax you’ve already paid, and any deductions and credits for which you may be eligible. This means you will need to wait to receive all of your W-2s, 1099 forms, and other documentation, typically sent by end of January, before filing your taxes.
Here’s what you’ll need to have handy:
- Names, dates of birth, and Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents
- Form W-2, which you receive from your employer and which reports your income and taxes already paid by your employer on your behalf
- Form 1099-NEC , which you should receive if you earned more than $600 working for a non-employer entity, worked a contract job, or had a side gig
- Form 1099-MISC, which you would receive if you earned more than $600 in other income, including rents, prizes, fishing boat proceeds, or crop insurance payments
- Form 1099-INT, which you would receive from a bank or other financial institution if you earned more than $10 in interest during the tax year
- A record of your retirement account contributions
If you plan to itemize deductions rather than take the standard deduction, these are the records most commonly needed:
You May Like: When Is Tax Day 2021 In Texas
What To Do About Missing Tax Forms
If you dont receive one or more of the forms you need, youre not absolved of reporting that information on your tax return. Heres how to handle this situation.
If you file a paper return by mail, youll need to include copies of the forms issuers have sent you if they show taxes withheld. If you file electronically, you wont have to.
How To Check Your Refund Status
You can to check on the status of your refund. However, IRS live phone assistance is extremely limited at this time. Wait times to speak with a representative can be long. But you can avoid the wait by using the automated phone system. Follow the message prompts when you call.
You May Like: What Makes Property Taxes Go Down
Hand Delivering Your Return
You can hand-deliver your return to a local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center under normal circumstances if you can find one located near where you live. You can ask the IRS agent for a stamped receipt upon submitting it.
Walk-ins are no longer accepted as of January 2022, although you can call ahead and make an appointment. Masks are required to protect against COVID-19 if you’re located in an area with a high or “substantial” transmission rate. The six-feet-apart rule remains in place.
The IRS website provides a search tool based on your zip code, as well as locations, addresses, and phone numbers for each state.
Example For A Return Beginning With An Alpha Character:
To find Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, choose the alpha S.
Note: Some addresses may not match a particular instruction booklet or publication. This is due to changes being made after the publication was printed. This site will reflect the most current Where to File Addresses for use during Calendar Year 2022.
Don’t Miss: How Much Is My Tax Return
Where Do I Send My 1040ez Form
Whichever version of the 1040 form you use , your 1040 form has to be mailed to the IRS upon completion. However, the answer to this question depends on where you are located. You can check our list below to determine your appropriate IRS mailing address.
Whats your biggest 2022 HR challenge that youd like to resolve
Answer to see the results
What Do I Need To File Taxes By Mail
Include all necessary tax forms for the IRS if you file by mail: your Form 1040 or 1040-SR, any schedules, and any other additional forms you have to fill out for your particular return. You should also include a check if you owe any taxes, or you can use IRS Direct Pay to make payment online from your checking or savings account.
Read Also: How Can I Get Child Tax Credit
How To File Your Return
For accurate and efficient processing, the Department strongly recommends taxpayers use an electronic eFile option to file their returns.
For taxpayers filing using paper forms, you should send us…
- Your North Carolina income tax return .
- Federal forms W-2 and 1099 showing the amount of North Carolina tax withheld as reported on Form D-400, Line 20.
- Federal Form 1099-R if you claimed a Bailey retirement deduction on Form D-400 Schedule S, Line 21.
- Form D-400 Schedule S if you added items to federal adjusted gross income on Form D-400, Line 7, or you deducted items from federal adjusted gross income on Form D-400, Line 9.
- Form D-400 Schedule A if you deducted N.C. itemized deductions on Form D-400, Line 11.
- Form D-400 Schedule PN if you entered a taxable percentage on Form D-400, Line 13.
- Form D-400 Schedule PN-1 if you entered an amount on Form D-400 Schedule PN, Part B, Line 17e or Line 19h.
- Form D-400TC and, if applicable, Form NC-478 and Form NC-Rehab if you claimed a tax credit on Form D-400, Line 16.
- A copy of the tax return you filed in another state or country if you claimed a tax credit for tax paid to another state or country on Form D-400TC, Line 7a.
- A copy of your federal tax return unless your federal return reflects a North Carolina address.
- Other required North Carolina forms or supporting schedules.
Additional Irs Office Mailing Addresses For Non
In certain cases, individuals and business owners must submit non-return forms to the Internal Revenue Service via postal mail. Below, youll find the addresses for certain types of applications and other forms:
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number Applications: Internal Revenue Service, Austin Service Center ITIN Operation, P.O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342
- Innocent Spouse Relief Application: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 120053 Covington, KY 41012
- Tax Lien Inquiries: Centralized Lien Operation, P.O. Box 145595, Stop 8420G Cincinnati, OH 45250-5595
Don’t Miss: How Much Should You Take Out For Taxes
Types Of Tax Credits And Benefits
There are two types of tax credits:
Benefits can help with various living expenses, such as raising children, housing, loss of income and medical expenses.
Read the Canada Revenue Agencys General Income Tax and Benefit Guide and Forms Book to learn more about which tax credits you can claim.
With the Ontario Child Care Tax Credit, you could get back up to 75% of your eligible child care expenses. It applies to eligible child care options, including care in centres, homes and camps.
The Low-Income Workers Tax Credit provides up to $850 each year in Ontario personal income tax relief to low-income workers, including those earning minimum wage.
Prior Year Forms & Instructions
Make your estimated tax payment online through MassTaxConnect. Its fast, easy and secure.
- Form 1-ES, 2022 Estimated Income Tax Payment Vouchers, Instructions and Worksheets
- Form 2-ES, 2022 Estimated Tax Payment Vouchers, Instructions and Worksheets for Filers of Forms 2 or 2G
- Form UBI-ES, 2022 Non-Profit Entities Corporation Estimated Tax Payment Vouchers and Instructions
Income and Fiduciary Vouchers these estimated tax payment vouchers provide a means for paying any taxes due on income which is not subject to withholding. This is to ensure that taxpayers are able to meet the statutory requirement that taxes due are paid periodically as income is received during the year. Generally, you must make estimated tax payments if you expect to owe more than $400 in taxes on income not subject to withholding. Learn more.
You May Like: What Is The Sales Tax In Mississippi
Where To Send Your Corporation Income Tax Return
Most corporations with gross revenues in excess of $1 million are required to Internet file their T2 Corporation Income Tax Return using CRA approved commercial software. See Mandatory Internet Filing for more information.
If you are Internet filing, go to Corporation Internet Filing.
Where you file your paper return depends on where the corporation is located.
You May Like: Doordash Write Offs
Filing Your Tax Return
What you need to know about filing your personal income tax and benefit return.
Save your receipts for the new Seniorsâ Home Safety Tax Credit in 2021, which you can apply for during the 2022 tax season.
You May Like: How Can You Track Your Tax Refund
Can I Apply For A Payment Extension Via Post
So, you have filled out your tax return and you have an unexpectedly large tax bill to pay. But, you dont have the money to pay it right now, what do you do?
Well, you should always try to file your tax return on time to avoid paying any extra fines.
Then you should apply for a short-term payment extension or a long-term extension if you need more time.
You can apply for a short-term extension if you owe up to $100,000, but long-term extensions are restricted to people who owe up to $50,000.
If you are on low income, there will be smaller fees for applying for these payment extensions.
You can also set up direct debit payments through the post.
You can make both of these applications through the post, however, it is quicker and cheaper to do it online.