How To File Your Return
For accurate and efficient processing, the Department strongly recommends taxpayers use an electronic eFile option to file their returns.
For taxpayers filing using paper forms, you should send us…
- Your North Carolina income tax return .
- Federal forms W-2 and 1099 showing the amount of North Carolina tax withheld as reported on Form D-400, Line 20.
- Federal Form 1099-R if you claimed a Bailey retirement deduction on Form D-400 Schedule S, Line 21.
- Form D-400 Schedule S if you added items to federal adjusted gross income on Form D-400, Line 7, or you deducted items from federal adjusted gross income on Form D-400, Line 9.
- Form D-400 Schedule A if you deducted N.C. itemized deductions on Form D-400, Line 11.
- Form D-400 Schedule PN if you entered a taxable percentage on Form D-400, Line 13.
- Form D-400 Schedule PN-1 if you entered an amount on Form D-400 Schedule PN, Part B, Line 17e or Line 19h.
- Form D-400TC and, if applicable, Form NC-478 and Form NC-Rehab if you claimed a tax credit on Form D-400, Line 16.
- A copy of the tax return you filed in another state or country if you claimed a tax credit for tax paid to another state or country on Form D-400TC, Line 7a.
- A copy of your federal tax return unless your federal return reflects a North Carolina address.
- Other required North Carolina forms or supporting schedules.
Where Do I Mail My Federal Tax Return
Where to mail Form 1040? The taxpayers who are filing a paper tax return must mail their returns by April 15 to the Internal Revenue Service. If you arent required to file a paper tax return for any reason, we suggest e-filing though as it will be a lot faster for both you and the IRS.
The most common reason why taxpayers mail their returns to the IRS is to fill out certain tax forms that cannot be filed electronically. In these cases, the IRS needs to get the return mailed to them. One of the better examples of this is Form 4852 which is used for replacing Form W-2 in absence of it.
Regardless of the tax forms, you used to file your tax return with, you must mail Form 1040 along with the attachments to the Internal Revenue Service. As for the mailing addresses, they are below. The mailing address is different depending on your state of residence and whether or not youre mailing your return with payment or not.
Take note that it takes between two and six weeks to process paper tax returns for the IRS. If you can e-file, we highly suggest doing so as it will take less time to receive your refund.
Mailing Address For Individual Tax Payment
For people who owe money on their tax balance, one way of making the payment is by mailing a money order or check to the IRS. The IRS may send you a notice stating your balance and where to send the payment, or you can use the payment voucher, which is Form 1040-V to pay the amount that is due on your Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ. The following table summarizes the mailing addresses of any Form 1040-V payments according to people who live in the areas.
|Louisiana, Florida, Texas, and Mississippi||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 1214 Charlotte NC 28201-1214|
|Arizona, Alaska, Colorado, California, Idaho, Hawaii, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Oregon, Wyoming or Washington||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 7704 San Francisco, CA 94120-7704|
|Illinois, Arkansas, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Kansas, Montana, Minnesota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ohio, Wisconsin or South Dakota.||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 802501 Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501|
|Georgia, Alabama, New Jersey, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, or Tennessee||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 931000 Louisville, KY 40293-1000|
|Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Maryland, New Hampshire, Missouri, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Rhode Island or West Virginia||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 37008 Hartford, CT 06176-7008|
The following group of people should mail their forms to the Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 1303, Charlotte, NC 28201- 1303.
You May Like: Payable Doordash 1099
Covid 1: Drop Box Available
Due to COVID-19, only the drop boxes located at the Jonquière, Sudbury, and Winnipeg tax centres are currently open.
To protect your sensitive information and make sure your items gets to the CRA quickly and securely, we encourage you to:
- file your tax return online using NETFILE
- mail your paper returns to the appropriate tax centre
- pay electronically through your financial institution’s online or telephone banking service or by setting up pre-authorized debit
- take your remittance voucher and pay directly at a financial institution
- make a payment electronically or at a Canada Post outlet.
Select the city closest to you.
Select the city closest to you.
Can You File A Paper Tax Return
While most people go for the e-filing or professional accountant route, its still entirely possible to file your income taxes by mail and all on your own. While filing the old way saves you from hacking risks, paper filing does tend to take longer, which means you might have to wait longer for your refund if youre expecting one.
You May Like: How Much Taxes Deducted From Paycheck Mn
Example For A Return Beginning With An Alpha Character:
To find Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number, choose the alpha S.
Find forms that begin with Alphas:C, S, W
Note: Some addresses may not match a particular instruction booklet or publication. This is due to changes being made after the publication was printed. This site will reflect the most current Where to File Addresses for use during Calendar Year 2022.
Closing Of Individual Po Box Addresses Could Affect Your Clients
Effective January 1, 2022, certain Post Office Boxes will be closed in Hartford, CT and San Francisco, CA. If you have pre-printed mailing labels for one of these payment addresses, destroy them now. To avoid delays, use the current address shown below. IRS encourages the use of electronic payment options available on IRS.gov.
Also Check: How Do You Report Plasma Donations On Taxes
Where To File Your Return
Taxpayers using eFile will have their returns processed electronically once they are submitted.
For taxpayers filing using paper forms:
- If you expect a refund, be sure to mail your return to the North Carolina Department of Revenue, PO Box R, Raleigh, NC 27634-0001.
- If you owe taxes, mail your return and payment to the North Carolina Department of Revenue , PO Box 25000, Raleigh, NC 27640-0640. Make your check or money order payable to the NC Department of Revenue. Important: The Department will not accept a check, money order, or cashier’s check unless it is drawn on a U.S. bank and the funds are payable in U.S. dollars.
Please Note The Following When Sending Mail To The Colorado Department Of Revenue:
Certified Mail, Express Mail & Courier Services
Although these mailing methods give the option to receive proof of delivery, sending forms or payments by certified mail, express mail or a courier service may delay processing. Sending forms and payments by first class standard mail via the U.S. Postal Service ensures the fastest processing time.
Proper Postage on the Envelope
Addressing the Envelope
Double Check the Mailing Address
Recommended Reading: Csl Plasma Taxes
Filing A Paper Income Tax Return
Before starting your Minnesota return , you must complete federal Form 1040 to determine your federal taxable income.
We use scanning equipment to process paper returns. Follow these instructions to ensure we process your return efficiently and accurately:
- Use your legal name, not a nickname.
- Use whole dollar amounts. Round your amounts to the nearest whole dollar.
- Leave lines blank if they do not apply to you or if the amount is zero.
- Do not write extra numbers, symbols, or notes on your return, such as decimal points or dollar signs. Enclose any explanations on a separate sheet unless you are instructed to write them on your return.
- Place a copy of your federal return and schedules behind your Minnesota forms. Do not include your federal Forms W-2 or 1099.
- Sign and date your return. Your spouse must also sign if you are married and filing a joint return.
- Do not use staples or tape on your return. You may use a paper clip.
Heres Where You Want To Send Your Forms If You Are Enclosing A Payment:
- Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 931000, Louisville, KY 40293-1000
- Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 1214, Charlotte, NC 28201-1214
- Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 7704, San Francisco, CA 94120-7704
- Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 802501, Cincinnati, OH 45280-2501
- Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 37910, Hartford, CT 06176-7008
- Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia: Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 37910, Hartford, CT 06176-7910
If youre filing a different 1040 income tax form, the IRSs website has a nifty breakdown of where each form has to go, most depending on whether or not a payment is enclosed.
Read Also: How To Keep Track Of Taxes For Doordash
How To Fill In Irs Form 1040
Multiple PDF form fillers provide services to fill out forms. However, there are particularly a lot of downsides associated with such platforms. PDFelement is known as one of the best PDF form fillers in the market as it offers a very simple and easy-to-use interface to its users. Here is a clear guide on how to fill in IRS Form 1040 using PDFelement.
Step 1. Import IRS Form 1040 into PDFelement
You need to launch PDFelement on your device and access “Open Files” to import Form 1040 for filling it out across the platform.
Step 2. Fill Out Appropriate Fields of Irs Form 1040
Once imported, you can now easily fill the respective fields of the form. To make the process easier, you can select the option of “Highlight Fillable Fields” to be aware of the form fields that can be filled.
Step 3. Save the IRS Form
As you successfully fill out the form, you need to navigate to the “File” menu and select “Save” to save the changes across Form 1040.
Mailing Address For Estimated Tax Payment
For people who are required to make an estimated tax payment, Form 1040-ES, which is the estimated tax voucher can be used to submit your payment to the IRS using the following addresses.
|Mississippi, Florida, Louisiana, and Texas||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 1300 Charlotte NC 28201-1300|
|Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington or Wyoming||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 510000 San Francisco, CA 94151- 5100|
|Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, or Wisconsin.||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 802502 Cincinnati, OH 45280-2502|
|Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Virginia||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 931100 Louisville, KY 40293-1100|
|Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia or Vermont||Internal Revenue Service P.O. Box 37007 Hartford, CT 06176-7007|
The following group of people should mail their Form 1040- E.S. to the Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 1300, Charlotte, NC 28201- 1300 USA.
However, it is important to note that if you are a bona fide resident of Guam, you are expected to mail your Form 1040-ES to the Department of Revenue and Taxation, Government of Guam, P.O. Box 2307, GMF, GU 93921.
Virgin Island Bureau of Internal Revenue
You May Like: How To File Doordash Taxes
If You Need Help With Your Return
If you are unable to get help filling out your North Carolina return, you can contact a service center for assistance or call toll-free at 1-877-252-3052. Your federal return must be completed before we can assist you in filling out your North Carolina return.
If you are disabled, have a low income, or are a senior citizen, income tax returns can be prepared free of charge through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs. For location and dates of assistance call the Internal Revenue Service toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.
Where To Send Your Corporation Income Tax Return
Most corporations with gross revenues in excess of $1 million are required to Internet file their T2 Corporation Income Tax Return using CRA approved commercial software. See Mandatory Internet Filing for more information.
If you are Internet filing, go to Corporation Internet Filing.
Where you file your paper return depends on where the corporation is located.
Recommended Reading: How To Report Plasma Donation On Taxes
Heres Where You Want To Send Your Forms If You Are Not Enclosing A Payment:
- Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Kansas City, MO 64999-0014
- Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Austin, TX 73301-0014
- Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888-0014
- Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Fresno, CA 93888-0014
- Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Missouri, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Kansas City, MO 64999-0014
- Connecticut, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, West Virginia: Department of the Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, Ogden, UT 84201-0014
Use A Secure Method To Mail Your Return
Always use a secure method, such as certified mail, return receipt requested, when you’re sending returns and other documents to the IRS. It will provide confirmation that the IRS has actually received your documents or payment.
In addition to addressing it correctly and using sufficient postage, be sure the envelope is postmarked no later than the date your return is due. If you use registered mail, the date of the registration is the postmark date if you use certified mail, the date stamped on the receipt is the postmark date. If you use an IRS-approved private carrier , make sure the return is sent out no later than the date due.
Recommended Reading: How To Buy Tax Lien Properties In California
When To File Your Return
If you file your return on a calendar year basis, the 2020 return is due on or before . A fiscal year return is due on the 15th day of the 4th month following the end of the taxable year. When the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, the return is due on or before the next business day. A fiscal year return should be filed on a tax form for the year in which the fiscal year begins. For example, a 2020 tax form should be used for a fiscal year beginning in 2020. See Directive TA-16-1, When a North Carolina Tax Return or Other Document is Considered Timely Filed or a Tax is Considered Timely Paid if the Due Date Falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or Legal Holiday.
Out of the Country: If you are out of the country on the original due date of the return, you are granted an automatic four month extension to file your North Carolina individual income tax return if you fill in the “Out of Country” circle on Page 1 of Form D-400. “Out of the Country” means you live outside the United States and Puerto Rico and your main place of work is outside the United States and Puerto Rico, or you are in military service outside the United States and Puerto Rico. The time for payment of the tax is also extended however, interest is due on any unpaid tax from the original due date of the return until the tax is paid.
Nonresident Aliens: Nonresident aliens are required to file returns at the same time they are required to file their federal returns.
A Complete Pdf Form Solution
Many people would question the reasons that make PDFelement the best in the market. Several features and characteristics make PDF form filling considerably efficient and proficient across PDFelement, which are discussed below.
Create PDF Forms Automatically
PDFelement provides a very impressive “Recognize Form” option that automatically creates interactive forms out of a PDF file. Convert simple PDF files into fillable forms in a single click with PDFelement.
Create PDF Fillable Form Manually
If somehow PDFelement cannot recognize the fillable fields in a PDF document, users can create their own manually customized PDF form. They can simply add fillable form fields by adding text fields, image areas, checkboxes, and labels within a PDF document.
Add Calculated Fields to a Form
PDFelement provides users with the ability to set extensive forms. They are allowed to set form fields as a calculation of other fields. For example, suppose a user wishes to sum or product values across two fields. In that case, he can simply use the “Calculate Order” function across PDFelement to set predefined calculations across the form.
Extract Form Data
Users usually submit their forms in FDF formats rather than PDF formats. The data submitted can still be viewed if the data from the FDF file can be imported across the original PDF file with the help of PDFelement.
Fill and Sign PDF Forms
Distribute PDF Forms
Many Free PDF Form Templates
Read Also: How To Appeal Cook County Property Taxes